Eastern Cemetery

Back
  • Eastern Cemetery Stone
  • Cemetaryb
  • Cemetaryc
  • Eastern Cemetery Sign
  • Eastern Cemetery
  • Next To Eastern Cemetery

Eastern Cemetery

224 Congress Street (corner of Congress and Mountfort Street)

Eastern Cemetery was established in 1668, is the oldest historic landscape in Portland and is one of the oldest burial grounds in the area. About 4,000 people are interred there. The cemetery contains graves and stones of African American and Yankee women who were important to Portland life prior to the Civil War. Among them were African American women Margaret P. Driver and Sophia Ruby Manuel, as well as Elizabeth Widgery Thomas (see M18), who participated in the Portland Anti-Slavery Society. Eastern Cemetery is maintained by Spirits Alive, a non-profit formed in 2006 by people dedicated to the preservation, protection, and beautification of the cemetery through a range of activities, promotion, and education. The group provides guided tours of the cemetery.