Winifred Kavanagh, sister of Edward Kavanagh, Maine's first Catholic governor (1843-44) and the first in all of New England, gave $25,000 in 1877 to build the Kavanagh School for Girls, kindergarten to grade 9. It opened in 1879 to 450 pupils with a teaching staff of eight Sisters of Mercy. Cathedral High School for girls occupied the building in 1910 until it was torn down in 1969. More than 2,500 young women graduated from Cathedral, including Edith (Saucier) Beaulieu (site M14), during its era. It was replaced by Catherine McAuley High School, which opened on Stevens Avenue in 1972. For other sites about the work of the Sisters of Mercy, see Queen's Hospital (site S08) and Mercy Hospital (site S14).