Trelawny Building

Back
  • Trelawny
  • Trelawny
  • Trelawnyh
  • Trelawny Interior

Trelawny Building

655 Congress Street

Soon after the Baxters opened the Trelawny Building (originally called the Baxter Building) in 1910, the variety of women professionals who rented offices turned the building into a virtual women's office building. The first occupations listed were dermatologist, osteopath, dressmaker, manicurist, and music teacher. By 1936, 20 women represented the above occupations with the addition of naturopath, nurse, beautician, chiropodist, chiropractor, and psychic. The number of women renting offices there declined in the 1950s until the Trelawny became almost completely residential by 1976.