A small group of women opened the Female Orphan Asylum on Free Street in 1828 to house young Protestant girls. They moved the Asylum to this State Street location 1870, where it remained until 1922 when it became the State Street Osteopathic Hospital until 1949. The Asylum was managed by an incorporated board of women and, until 1896, also included a school. A governess ran the program on a daily basis, making sure the children's worldly and spiritual needs were both attended to. After 1891, boys under seven were admitted. The building is now private housing.