Vaughan Hall was the residence for student nurses at the Maine General School of Nursing between 1939 and 1951. Alida Hall, the first residence (torn down to make space for the Richards wing), was named after Alida Marie Donnell Leese, who became Director of Nursing when the school was founded in 1885 and served until 1903. Students applying for the three-year course were required to be between 17 and 30 years old and unmarried. Tuition was $230 a year, including uniforms and room and board. During World War II, student nurses joined the U.S. Cadet Nurses Corps, organized by the government to solve the shortage of nurses. The government paid their tuition and a monthly stipend. Students came from all over Maine.