Children's Hospital (site S20) became part of Maine General in 1948 (site S20). New construction expanded the hospital for the next three decades and beyond. The Maine General Eye and Ear nursing schools joined to form Maine Medical Center School of Nursing in 1951 (site W08 and site W09). By the time the last nursing class graduated in 1967, 644 nurses had graduated from Maine Medical. Nursing students began attending the University of Maine in the fall of 1966. Since then, the University of Southern Maine, University of New England and Southern Maine Community College have offered nursing degree programs.