A society of women operated the Home for Aged Women in this building for more than 100 years. The society was incorporated in 1854 "for the relief of aged, indigent women" by a board of women managers and supported by private funds. Although only women served on the governing board, men assisted with the finances. The first home opened in 1856 at the corner of Elm and Oxford Streets. The entrance fee was $50.00. The women brought their own furnishings and were free to come and go. The board of managers built the home on Emery Street and equipped it with an infirmary staffed by day and night nurses. Each resident had her own room and ate meals in a common dining room. The entrance fee was $300. Visiting committees took care of the residents' personal needs. The apartments at 75 State Street replaced the home in 1975, when the building was acquired by Waynflete.